Forum

Notifications
Clear all

September 2017 NoVAGO Spotlight Question: Mind Blowing Cache

(@awesnap)
Member Admin

September 2017 NoVAGO Spotlight Question: What was the last geocache that blew your mind?

Cwillypngnl:

I’ve come across some really great caches over the years, but the ones that tends to always “blow my mind” are the caches that takes you to some historical artifacts in the middle of woods. I love learning about local history and it’s pretty exciting to come across an old house, car or an old road etc. during your hikes.
The Blue Jalopy ( https://coord.info/GC2QH0R ) that I found with Nighthawk700 was probably the first cache that completely blew my mind. The hike in the woods was superb, with lots of creek crossings in between, and there was a nice size ammo can nearby an old car in the middle of the woods! Being new to the hobby, I was just floored that there could be old cars like this one in woods around us! Nighthawk700 posted a few pictures on Facebook which created quite a discussion about this car and guesses of what model was it. These include: 1959 Ford Ranchero, 1960 Falcon, 1959 Ford Fairlane, or a 1958 Fairlane 2door sedan. We never could figure out what the model was, but we were just excited to come across such a fascinating artifact like this one. And the following day, I came across another old artifact at the Resistance multi-cache ( https://coord.info/GC42W1B ) in Fairfax. From there, I was pretty much hooked to the hobby.

Reedkickball:

The last geocache that blew my mind was, "Raiders of the Lost Cache." It's just so well done, and I'm pretty sure most people that have found it will agree with me.

The Unstealthy Monkey:

Sleepless in Bethesda (GC43T75) was one of the most creative puzzle caches I've ever solved. Not just creative, but also the most loss of sleep I ever had solving a puzzle! I think I spent two days keeping my phone by my head at night with the silent alarm/vibrate on to wake me up at the proper times so I could venture out and get the clues! TWO DAYS!!!! Thank goodness I'm a night owl! Solving it was another challenge because it took many, many days and a little help figure out. I don't know how ari54321 did it, but we finally got coords that looked right. I think the easiest part of this cache was actually getting over to that part of Bethesda to find it. Even with the lack of sleep it was a pleasure solving this GREAT puzzle cache and awarding it a well-deserved fav point!

Two000miler:

At the SW end of Lake Cahyuga near Ithaca NY, there is a small park on the lake where there were a few caches and a place that they let dogs swim in the lake. On the way back there are a series of poles about 30 feet high with osprey nests on top.

About 25 feet from one of the nests we hear a loud noise from one of the nests. Looking up, the mother osprey is trying to get the youngster to come to the edge to get the food. Eventually, the chick comes to the edge, mom moves, and baby fledges right in front of us. As baby flew for the first time, it was one of those situations where about all you could do was to look up and say "Thank you."

Obxgeek:

This is going to sound a bit jaded but I can't remember that last one that blew my mind. I have found some amazing caches in the past 7 years. There have been some amazing gadget caches that I couldn't even begin to duplicate. Mechanical Drawing 101 would be a great example of this. There have been locations that just took my breath away. View Carre' in New Orleans for the view looking down over the French Quarter or Tip of Half Moon which brought you to a beach in the Caribbean with some of the bluest water and whitest sugar sand I have ever seen. There have been physically challenging caches like Goose Creek (Bonus) which was 20-odd miles of paddling and was only experienced by 8 other people in the 4 years it was out.

2Wheel'in:

There were quite a few geocaches that "blew" my mind over the years, and I think the one that rises to the top is GC73C2 "Blood & Guts in Virginia (aka Iron & Stone" - it was an epic adventure, and you'll not get much more out of me than that. Why did it blow my mind? -- it's various stages are scattered over a vast area of NoVA, the solve was huge physical and mental exercise in frustration, that...and the folks/team (The Blind Squirrel Squad) I did it with made it truly amazing. It's still an active geocache...a true 5 by 5 - reading the logs will give you some insight as to what's involved.

Sassyinmyheart:

Hard to pick just one... but they have the same reason... THE VIEWS! (GCDA63) and (GCA159)

saberspark77:

This would have to be the Going Caching 2016 T-shirt Puzzle. It was well-crafted, and each step had a difficult-but-not-impossible leap, for which the answer was immediately rewarding. Looking forward to this year's!

K8Ydd:

So there's this dragon that actually breathes fire! Too bad it was a DNF

MrPsyduck:

The last cache that blew my mind away? The Prisoner! We are almost done, but how in the world is this even possible? Who thinks like that? :) haha

DePhogrationt:

Kayaking is one of those I was on the fence about. However it became clear I would need to get on a water craft with some regularity if I wanted to find caches of interest in NoVA. I got away with Green Mana by walking to the cache. I hit a drought condition and low tide. I charted out a path through the local horse trails and peripheral to a road in Belvoir I most likely should hot have been on. During that one I forded a stream in thigh high waders that was about 2 inches from the top of the waders. After that cache I realized I did more work without a boat than with.

When it came time for the Eagle's tour, Bristow Cacher and I rented a canoe for the water leg. We must have looked like two drunks trying to maneuver the thing. Bristow is a bit heavier than I am. Trying to get our power output right was a challenge. After more tacking than following a bearing we go the hang of it. Zorky Rooster was next. By this point I was thinking I needed to get a Kayak. Nothereeither and Hooclass and I took a canoe to that one. It pretty much decided me on getting a kayak of my own. Luckily around the same time my wife decided to take up kayaking and got one for herself. That made it much easier for me to take the leap and get my own. I now have four kayaks and spend more time on the water than ever in my life.

Freddiecrs:

The Lost Creek Multi (GC47HA3) - The whole cache was great. Having grown up around a small stream like that, I'm always will to wade around and look for critters. Stage 3 was the best. I found a critter hiding in a hole, I didn't want to disturb him so I looked around other places for the clue. Finally, I decided I needed to disturb him because the clue had to be there. I reached in, grabbed him, and pulled him. Great fake out! The critter held my clue.

Grove at Arlington:

Jeff and I were standing on a river bank, shaking our heads and wondering how a large cache could escape our detection out in this open area. Then one of us noticed a rope on a nearby tree. When we looked up, there was a huge bucket over our heads awaiting out find. We used the rope to let the bucket down and made the find.

ZippyFinn:

The Test That Stumped Them All (GC5ZMCJ)

That puzzle has tormented me since 9/11/2015. Why did it blow my mind? Because I was dead-set on a path for solving it and try as I might to be open to different approaches...it was difficult for me to let go. The actual solve wasn't as tortuous as the path I had created (which was pretty spectacular in my own head at least.)

I ran the gamut of emotions for this one - high highs, low lows, crying, laughing, throwing...made me batsh*t crazy. I have a 6-lb box of fails and a Voodoo doll to show for it.

But the most fun was blogging through the experience. I have never had such a love-hate relationship with a puzzle.

SP4Fun:

Zorky Rooster BLEW my mind away. Why? 2 years to complete, formed loose teams, CO provided hints that were just enough to help but not enough to feel like a cheat code. The finale was no disappointment either. It was good down to the very last drop!!

Nighthawk700:

The last one that blew my mind:

Your Key to Cache. https://coord.info/GC3DYYT

The why... well, that would give away the surprise to people who haven't found it yet. I know you did, so you know why. :-)

Beatlejeff:

In March 2015 I was caching in Tiffany Springs Park in Kansas City, MO. I was searching for a cache called The Forbidden Forest. As I approached GZ, I saw a familiar object, and I thought "Oh, a birdhouse cache." But when I opened the birdhouse door, there was no cache inside of it. Instead there was a fishing reel. I pressed the release button, the reel whirred, and then I heard a thump in the near distance. Unsure of exactly where whatever it was had landed, I followed the fishing line until I came upon a huge rubber spider. The log was inside of the spider. I signed it, then returned to reel and had to wind the spider back up into position. Forbidden Forest, spiders, ah yes, a Harry Potter themed cache! Really neat and a lot of creative thought and work obviously went into creating it, but unfortunately about a year after my find, the tree this cache was attached to was toppled by a tornado and was archived, but very glad I got the opportunity to find it.

robbitandpaul:

Once in Hampton just before the GCHR picnic, we where out caching looking for a highly favored gadget cache in someone's front yard. We saw how it was supposed to work but seemed to be broken, so we wrote a DNF log. Before we could pull away from the house the CO popped out, fixed it, then took us around to find his other caches in the area. A real fun experience and a real nice guy.

Awesnap:

The last cache that blew my mind was just an ammo can in the woods. In May of 2017 I was in Southern California and managed to gather up a couple of my old Navy shipmates to go caching with me. We haven’t seen each other in years, and usually when we did we would sit around, drink, and tell sea stories. I was so happy when they agreed to join me in this hike. Our target that day was Phil's Memorial Cache, California’s oldest geocache. When we arrived at Big Laguna Lake I was surprised on how green everything was. In the three years I lived in California the one thing I couldn’t get used to how brown all of the trees, grass, and bushes were. My friends said that California was hit by a lot of rain earlier this year so everything is green. This combination of hiking with old friends, great weather, the age of the cache, and being in the most beautiful park I have ever been in make this to me a mind blowing cache.

Topic starter Posted : 26/09/2017 10:05 am
Share: