Clear all

September 2016: TrexM8s

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@awesnap)
Topic starter

1. Tell us about your caching name.

TrexM8s is a combination of my first GPS, a Garmin eTrex and since I was planning on caching with family and friends, my “mates”.

2. How were you introduced to Geocaching and what was the first cache you found?

We were visiting my sister in Ohio for Spring break in 2006. My brother-in-law had discovered Geocaching and he took us to Oak Openings Preserve Metropark where they were hosting a Geocaching Easter Egg Hunt. We had fun walking around the lake to coordinates where an egg had a nature question to be answered. While in the area for GC66A5W Mid-West Geobash 2016, we visited the park and found several caches. It is reported to include the oldest cache in Ohio based on the date but I am told there is one with a lower GC number in another part of the state. My first cache was GCPHXH – Pain in the Slug. I’m fairly certain I printed out the cache page, loaded it into the GPS unit and walked around in circles for a bit. It was in a guardrail at a commuter parking lot and has since been archived. I found 10 caches that year. Several years passed by with minimal caching but by 2011 I had the time and the technology made it easier to do. Last year I found 509 caches.

3. Tell us about your receiver and any other “tools” (hardware and software) that help you cache.

Currently I have a Garmin 62st and a Samsung S4 smartphone. I use the Geocaching Classic app because I have offline lists for puzzles, challenges and other caches to find. I find I use the app to prepare for finds more than the website. Also, it is great for the spur of the moment caching. Recently I noticed the new app does now filter the lists on the map, so I may give it a try. I use GeocachingToolbox.com to solve puzzles and Project Geocaching to find caches for challenges.

4. What essential items do you always carry in your cache bag?

I travel light but try to have plastic baggies, spare logs and lots of pens with me! I keep other supplies in my geocaching go-bag such as batteries, a charging brick, tweezers, telescoping mirror, headlight, wipes, bug spray, sun screen, first aid kit and swag.

5. Do you trade items in and out of caches?

I like to leave swag in caches but more often forget to bring them out on the trail. I love to find trackables in caches and make an effort to move them along quickly. This can be difficult because I am selective and try to leave them in a safe cache; one that is dry and won’t be muggled.

6. Do you have any signature items or ones in the works?

Not yet!

7. What is your favorite thing about caching?

It is wonderful to experience the creativity cachers bring to the game – containers, hiding places, cache pages, puzzles and logs. I also like the Meet & Greets as cachers are usually willing to share their experiences and hints!

8. Do you cache by yourself or with another person? How often do you go caching?

I’ve shared many milestones with LMNLanchot. I can usually talk my husband into going on a hike. He likes to hike and says he doesn’t like to cache, though it is ironic how often he makes the find. I do also cache by myself – I enjoy heading out for a couple of hours usually focusing on an area with a specific cache as the target. Mostly cache on the weekend but if time and weather permits will cache during the week.

9. What is your favorite type of cache (traditional, multi, puzzle, virtual etc.)?

I like any cache I can find! I like to hike, so I think of caching as hiking with a purpose. I find it easier to hike several miles when there are caches along the way. Even if it means driving to different trail heads. I’ve been working on puzzles and have been able to solve quite a few --- some even without any help!

10. Tell us about your favorite cache.

I have several favorites. NoVAGO has so many creative caches! However, I would like to highlight GC451D5 What, you wanted an easy multi? Thanks to Nemo inviting a group to celebrate Aronel’s birthday, we were able to spend a day caching and discovering several evil caches. I enjoyed the caches and the camaraderie of the day.

11. Tell us about a memorable caching experience that you have had.

EC-288-W and I tackled GC11NCM If You Want To Run With The Big Dogs... Mastiff on a cold January day. It was 18 degrees when we arrived at the trailhead at 7:00 AM. We completed the challenge in one day, hiking 18 miles and picking up several others along the way. I have made several trips to Fountainhead, it is a wonderful park for hikes and caching.

12. How many states and countries have you cached in?

I attended the GC66A5W Mid-West Geobash 2016, held at the Fulton County Fairgrounds - Wauseon, Ohio and was able to pick up three new states (Ohio, Michigan and Indiana). I now have a total of 12 states and two countries (US and the Dominican Republic).

13. If you could take a vacation anywhere to cache, where would you go?

Where ever I go, I cache! We are looking at visiting Asheville, NC, Philadelphia, PA and doing more of the WVTim caches in Martinsburg, WV.

14. Tell us about your other interests or talents.

I am involved in the Boy Scouts National Capital Area, Old Dominion District. I serve as the Activities and Civic Service chair, District Eagle Board Representative, Assistant Scoutmaster Troop 856, Crew Advisor 3200 and Merit badge counselor. The Geocaching merit badge being a favorite. I am also leading the Geocaching/Map and Compass activity for the NCAC Goshen 50th Anniversary Camporee on Memorial Day weekend in 2017. We expect 3000 scouts and scouters to attend. Any goecaching scouters interested in volunteering, feel free to reach out to me.

15. Have you set any goals for yourself this year related to caching?

I recently hit the 2000 milestone. I don’t have any specific goals towards a statistic. However, I am planning a Cache to Eagle trail with a geocoin (still in the early stages). I would also like to hide a creative cache and create a personal path tag.

16. What would you like NoVAGO to focus on in the future?

I like that NoVAGO holds CITOs. It is a great way for cachers to contribute to the community.

Posted : 01/09/2016 8:22 pm
(@hooclass2002)
Estimable Member

Very cool spotlight from one of the friendliest cachers around (and that's saying something). Always love running into TrexM8s at CITOs.

Posted : 02/09/2016 7:23 am
Share: