Forum

Notifications
Clear all

October 2016: LMNLanchot

(@awesnap)
Member Admin

1. Tell us about your caching name.

A store in Rehoboth and our niece are responsible for the complicated name we use for geocaching. Originally I used a variation of my own name, but after looking at logs from others, noticed that most were not actual names. While visiting Rehoboth, we went to Gidget’s Gadgets, discovered and purchased a small Lambchop by Shari Lewis that became our symbol. Our niece, when about three, had asked for a Lambchop for a gift. She received two and promptly announced that she now had enough ”Lanchots.” The LNM are the initials of our family members, so I changed the caching name to LMNLanchot.

2. How were you introduced to Geocaching and what was the first cache you found?

I first read about Geocaching in a Boy Scout magazine and mentioned it to TrexM8s, who had been introduced to it by her brother-in-law. On a Boy Scout outing at Burke Lake, she took several Scouts and myself on our first quest, Peep Hole on May 30, 2009. After much searching, I located the correct tree, but wouldn’t put my hand in the hole to retrieve the cache. TrexM8s and I revisited the cache last December with EC-288-W, and it is still going strong.

3. Tell us about your receiver and any other “tools” (hardware and software) that help you cache.

I have had two Garmin GPSr devices, but now use my phone almost exclusively. I like the old Geocaching.com app, but have tried the new one. I guess eventually I will have to use it.

4. What essential items do you always carry in your cache bag?

My cache bag contains the standards: pens, a pad, baggies, extra batteries, trade items, and trackables. Two must haves for me are Lambchop and my six inch jewelers tweezers.

5. Do you trade items in and out of caches?

I trade if an item is interesting. One member of my family likes Kung Fu Panda figures, and another likes all things Pokemon, so I will always trade for these. I like interesting key chains that I can attach to trackables especially from foreign places.

6. Do you have any signature items or ones in the works?

I always have Lambchop with me or Lamby as JPWave calls it. TrexM8s is working on a series of caches based on the Boy Scout law. I have a cache planned for one point using my son’s Eagle Scout project.

7. What is your favorite thing about caching?

Geocaching makes you get up, get outside, and get moving. Only geocaching makes me leave the cozy warmth of buildings during cold weather, according to my husband.

8. Do you cache by yourself or with another person? How often do you go caching?

I almost always go caching with someone else, most often my husband or TrexM8s. In the last year SP4FUN, TrexM8s and I have teamed up as LWC (Ladies Who Cache).
I like that the chance of finding the caches increases with more people looking.

9. What is your favorite type of cache (traditional, multi, puzzle, virtual etc.)?

My favorite caches are the ones I can actually find! I like Virtuals, especially when we travel, because they are a sure find in a new place, and they are always at interesting places. I like the satisfaction of solving a Puzzle, but not the frustration of the very hard ones or those without Geocheckers.

10. Tell us about your favorite cache.

My favorite cache is in St George, Utah, Relaxing #7 – Skimming the River, sadly now deactivated. It isn’t my favorite for its container or its unique hide, but for the possibilities it opened. It is located along the Virgin River where young people swim and skim board. This led our family and friends to a location we would never have discovered on our own while visiting the area. My son, who until then was cranky about our activities, loved being able to swim and cool off. This cache taught us that Geocaching offered much more than just finding a hidden box.

11. Tell us about a memorable caching experience that you have had.

In the Richmond, VA area, NYALPC has provided several memorable experiences. This cache is near our relatives, so we took them to find it with no luck. On one attempt a police car pulled up to see what we were doing discovering a 90 year old, a child and three adults suspiciously searching through a commuter parking lot. I explained we were geocaching to which he responded, “Do people still do that?” After several visits with no success, I reached out to the cache owner, but no answer. Then I reached out to one of the previous finders (no one from the NoVAGO area). I received a description of the cache and info about its location. Still no luck after at least six attempts. Finally TrexM8s met us there, and found it. Sadly, the previous finder had completely lied about the cache description and location. I expected more integrity from the community of geocachers.

12. How many states and countries have you cached in?

I’ve cached in six countries and 33 states. My husband and I are working on adding new states each year.

13. If you could take a vacation anywhere to cache, where would you go?

I want to go just about anywhere. My first goal is to visit the three states I have not been to: Kansas, Nebraska, and Oklahoma. Next to New England, then the remaining states. And, of course, I’m always in if anyone wants to go to Hawaii.
14. Tell us about your other interests or talents.

As a retired history teacher, I enjoy historic places. I love reading, especially mysteries. I continue to work with the Boy Scouts even after my Eagle Scout son has moved on to college.

15. Have you set any goals for yourself this year related to caching?

My goal is to have 500 or more finds this year, and to clear the 2.5-mile radius from home.

16. What would you like NoVAGO to focus on in the future?

The officers have done a great job with the activities of quarterly CITOs and events.

Topic starter Posted : 03/10/2016 8:44 am
(@trexm8s)

Nice write up! I spent time figuring out how to use this forum just so I could comment. Watch out NOVAGO!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/10/2016 11:44 am
Share: