Forum

Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] Can you name any great archived caches?  

Page 13 / 13
  RSS
(@derektiffany)
Reputable Member

A popular kids cache Got "Kids" by charjack was archived this morning. I never had chance to find it or to take kids to this one. Can anyone provide any details on what made this cache so unique?

If memory serves ...
Large bucket in a tree. It was tethered so you could lower it, do your trading and signing, and then raise it back up. This style of cache does tend to be popular when found ... pretty rare. Though I can think of at least one other similar in area.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/02/2015 11:33 am
(@toowheelin)
Member Moderator

A popular kids cache Got "Kids" by charjack was archived this morning. I never had chance to find it or to take kids to this one. Can anyone provide any details on what made this cache so unique?

If I recall correctly...it was a sealed plastic bucket - about 2 gallon size. Seeking at ground level was fruitless unless you happened to spy the
camo'd cord that secured the bucket. You see...the bucket was 10 or 15 feet above ground up in a large tree. The cache was well stocked with
large and small items that were are of interest to kids (kids of any age). I had previously found a similar cache in Virginia Beach...both were
favorites.

Bill (Ah, Derek beat me too it)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/02/2015 11:38 am
(@cwillypngn)
Eminent Member

It sounds like my kids and I missed out on a really nice cache! I wonder if we will ever see this type of kid friendly hide again in the near future? I'm sure there is a savvy geocacher out there who has some camo rope and a 2-gallon bucket lying around his/her house that could be put to good use. :-D

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/02/2015 6:21 am
(@derektiffany)
Reputable Member

It sounds like my kids and I missed out on a really nice cache! I wonder if we will ever see this type of kid friendly hide again in the near future?

PM sent ...

Looking over previous NoVAGO nominations for Best Kids' Cache might be a good place to start. :wink:

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/02/2015 8:05 am
(@cwillypngn)
Eminent Member

Zgrav’s Cryptic Tryptic series (Romeo, Parko and Kendall Karma) was archived this morning. I hate to see this one go since it was a really nice introduction to the basic ciphers techniques when I first started out. The hides were always a challenge for me to find.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/09/2015 6:53 am
(@toowheelin)
Member Moderator

Zgrav’s Cryptic Tryptic series (Romeo, Parko and Kendall Karma) was archived this morning. I hate to see this one go since it was a really nice introduction to the basic ciphers techniques when I first started out. The hides were always a challenge for me to find.

Agreed...as a rule I don't normally do "Puzzles"...but I did those, and enjoyed them!!

Bill

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/09/2015 12:29 pm
(@buckeyefan)

My personal favorite as the CO was 'Inspired by Leo'...
http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC1F ... red-by-leo

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/09/2015 6:07 am
(@two000miler)
Estimable Member

Inspired by Leo does not need a special decoder. Any reasonably accomplished puzzler should be able to figure it out. There are enough anchors to work with in the text. So I am sorry to see it go because it makes a good teaching tool.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/09/2015 3:16 pm
(@buckeyefan)

The decoder was part of the fun. I actually received an email from a cachers on the east coast that used Excel to decode it.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/09/2015 2:38 pm
(@serrabou)
Member Moderator

Sad to see this classic multi go: Helen Hunt. It sure was a doozy. Kinda neat it ended with exactly 100 finds. Thanks, 2Wheel'in, for maintaining for so long! And happy trails out west.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31/10/2016 6:28 am
(@toowheelin)
Member Moderator

Thank you Serrabou..."Helen" truly was one of my favorite owned caches...all because of the interesting and humorous logs it received over the years. I would routinely go back and reread those logs...good folks, kind and rewarding words, and lots of great memories.

Bill

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31/10/2016 6:49 am
Page 13 / 13
Share: