Forum

Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] Can you name any great archived caches?  

Page 1 / 13
  RSS
(@zgrav)
Noble Member

Lots of caches get archived, but how many of them are great caches that should be remembered? Sometimes the caches are bad placements to begin with, sometimes the CO abandons them, and sometimes the area at the placement changes and they become extinct (like a signal tower on an old train track, e.g.).

Even though this "sport/hobby" is still relatively new, I wonder about the notable things from the first few years (starting from its creation as the Stash Game) that more or less drop off the end of the world.

The Project Ape cache in Maryland was notable because of its unique history.

One or two of the Psycho Urban caches have been retired, but (at least IMHO) not the great ones in that series.

What great caches do you know of that are now gone, and why were they great?

:smt023 :smt031 :smt026 :dancing: :smt048

Posted : 30/01/2009 9:16 am
(@donbadabon)
Reputable Member

De-fence-less by Gaiter Man - GCJ8DT

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=631afe26-768e-452d-b03c-e61663082962

Before hints were passed around like crazy, this was THE cache to find in NoVA.

Take a look at all those DNF's the first two months it was published.

It took me five trips to find it. It was an amazing hide, back in a time when creative cache hides didn't exist.

You'd think that a two inch orange waterproof matchstick container would be hard to hide - but you'd be wrong....

This remains one of my favorites of all times.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/01/2009 9:48 am
(@kjcachers)
Prominent Member

I missed getting an Earth Cache in Harper's Ferry, WV that I thought would be a great one. Phyllite of Stairs GCZ69B. I may do it anyway this summer. I always wanted to go up there for the views. 8)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/01/2009 12:20 pm
(@pengie123)
Reputable Member

One of my favorite caches that got archved was Peace Garden or GCRZCB. It was a altoids tin in a place that seemed to be built for a cache in clarendon right infront of Barnes and Noble. Excellent cache, sorry I had to see it go.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/01/2009 1:26 pm
(@toowheelin)
Member Moderator

Agree with donbadabon...."De-fence-less" - more trips and more hours than I care to admit. Those were the days................sigh.

Bill

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/01/2009 5:38 pm
(@zgrav)
Noble Member

I guess a few of Flyingmoose's would make this list for one reason or another, including Radio KAOS and Fiendish Fluoridators.

Gatierman's Double Vision also comes to mind, but I'm not surprised that Defenceless comes to the top.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31/01/2009 8:46 am
(@cphug184)
Prominent Member

When doing Occoquan Trailmasters two summers ago, I read so many references in other caches to the "nearby" De-fence-less cache DNFs that I had to find the cache page in someone's profile and read the logs. Glad that was before my time!

If anyone has it in their profile, can you post a link to the cache page?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31/01/2009 9:11 am
(@flyingmoose)
Noble Member

Primal Instinct by BeachBuddies GCGVQB
Double Vision?? by Gaiter Man GCK379
Pleurocoelus Tracks Earth Cache GCPD53

Two were archived due to land/ access issues while the other was just archived. Surprised to see 3 of mine on my list, kind of caught me off guard.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31/01/2009 12:28 pm
(@zgrav)
Noble Member

the link for Defenceless is in Donbadebon's comment, above.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31/01/2009 12:39 pm
(@kjcachers)
Prominent Member

Two were archived due to land/ access issues while the other was just archived. Surprised to see 3 of mine on my list, kind of caught me off guard.

So does that mean I can get a find on the "Stairs" when we go up there this summer? :wink: :D

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31/01/2009 3:52 pm
(@flyingmoose)
Noble Member

So does that mean I can get a find on the "Stairs" when we go up there this summer? :wink: :D

Nice one, getting me to say yes would open the doors for everyone else to log them.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/02/2009 5:50 am
(@kjcachers)
Prominent Member

Nice one, getting me to say yes would open the doors for everyone else to log them.

Getting you to say yes on a forum might but..... :wink: :wink:

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/02/2009 12:41 pm
(@bluerkt)
Eminent Member

Nature Cache at Riverbend. A nice multi in a scenic park. Archived because the owner moved.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/02/2009 5:56 am
(@bigcall)
Estimable Member

A few of my old favorites:

The original You are the GPS!
No Parking
Arlington Book Cache
Les Anges Volantes
Summer of '69
Rappahannock Reconnaissance
Primal Instinct

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/02/2009 7:17 pm
(@mjb007)
Eminent Member

I don't know if you were only looking for VA caches or not. I guess it doesn't matter since so much since you can't do them anyway. NCPositronics has done some great caches that I really enjoyed and into which I put a lot of effort.

A Thousand Words
There and Back Again

These are two of my all time favorites

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/02/2009 4:35 am
Page 1 / 13
Share: