July 2017: Tcopkcp711

Showcasing some of your fellow cachers!

July 2017: Tcopkcp711

Postby awesnap » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:43 pm

taco3.jpg
TP711 Supplying proof he visited Bush Forest Ruins Virtual (GCG1W8)

1. Tell us about your caching name.

Sometime back in 2002 I was listening jazz on the radio on the way to school. I was thinking that the music was pretty up beat until there was a sudden pause. Then I heard “Wait stop taco and a pork chop” and it played on as of nothing was said. I knew right then that phrase would be stuck in my head forever. It wasn’t until years later that I found out that song is called “Taco with a Pork Chop.” Over the years I have grown to like both tacos and pork chops. It seemed perfect to shorten it up as a username for various things. So I combined them, and added my birthday at the end creating the username Tcopkcp711. Believe me it makes a great conversation starter at events.

2. How were you introduced to Geocaching and what was the first cache you found?

I was introduced to the game by a friend of a friend who was in DC for a march called Keep the Promise. Amanda's username I can't remember, but Christopher’s is thin foot. After the march we ventured off and made way around town playing the game. Little by little I learned how this game is played and was I very happy to learn of something new to do. I think I even made a find on a few of the caches we went after. Other than the many virtuals we searched for, the two traditionals we found were Religous Ruin and Dupont Underground. I was immediately hooked on geocaching but it took me some time to get equipment and gain more know how before I could really began on my own.

3. Tell us about your receiver and any other “tools” (hardware and software)
that help you cache.

My receiver is Garmin eTrex Legend, but I primarily use my cell phone.

4. What essential items do you always carry in your cache bag?

My bag has a lot of stuff ranging from pens, travel bugs, path tags, containers, paper logs, band aids light, and more.

5. Do you trade items in and out of caches?

Once in a while, if I happen to remember to pack swag, I will do a trade. My favorite thing to look for in caches is toy cars. I like to write the dates and the GC code of the caches I found them in.

taco5.jpg
TP711 and Sassinmyheart at the NoVAGO Great Scott CITO (GC76631)

6. Do you have any signature items or ones in the works?

I currently do not have anything in the works but maybe I should soon.

7. What is your favorite thing about caching?

My favorite things about geocaching is the time spent with friends, the endless exploration of new places, competing with other cachers with who finds what first, and learning new things as I go. Sometimes solo runs are fun too.

8. Do you cache by yourself or with another person? How often do you go caching?

It just all depends.

9. What is your favorite type of cache (traditional, multi, puzzle, virtual etc.)?

I like all types as long as smiles are attached at the end. I can't say just one.

10. Tell us about your favorite cache.

One of my favorites is probably my first solo find Meadowood Surprise, but one that stands out is a challenge I recently qualified for called The PentaState Challenge. I have unsuccesfully attempted this one a few times, but it wasn't until recently that I was able to finally qualify on the road to Geowoodstock 15. That day JPWAVE, Awesnap, and I left Northern Virginia at midnight and headed south to work Virginia’s Western Counties and DeLorme Grids. We ended up logging over 16 counties and 5 states (Virginia, Kentucky, West Virginia, Tennessee, and North Carolina). Both of those where personal bests for me, but being able to finally saddle this cache was what made it great for me.

11. Tell us about a memorable caching experience that you have had.

I tend to find a memorable experience somehow in all caching I do but the one that stands out the most is the day before Geowoodstock 15. After 20 hours on the road and attending the Heart of Asheville event, Awesnap, JPWAVE and I headed out to a few of the areas best downtown breweries. We needed the break and welcomed some of the more creative brews the pubs offered. We kicked back for awhile longer than we should have before realizing that we may over did the beer sampling a bit. A group vote was had and we all decided that it would be best to “walk it off” for a bit before heading back to the hotel. We had a great time hiking the busy downtown streets, mingling with locals, and even ended up finding six more geocaches before going to bed.

taco1.jpg
TP711 and gang “walking it off” in Asheville (GC36RJV)

12. How many states and countries have you cached in?

I currently have finds in 22 states and 3 countries.

13. If you could take a vacation anywhere to cache, where would you go?

If I could vacation and cache anywhere I would like to go to New Zealand. After that I would like to make way over to Australia before returning home.

14. Tell us about your other interests or talents.

My other interests are sports, architecture, art, kayaks, and just being out on the water.

taco4.jpg
TP711 drudging tires at the Potomac River Hydro CITO (GC6N4PV)

15. Have you set any goals for yourself this year related to caching?

I would like to find caches states I haven’t been to and maybe knock off some big challenges I've seen but don’t qualify for yet. My long term goals are completing the Virginia Independent Cities, Counties, and DeLorme Challenges.

16. What would you like NoVAGO to focus on in the future?

I think NoVAGO could host more classes for people that need more help on things such as learning HTML code to build better cache pages.

taco2.jpg
TP711 makes his 1000th find with Hooclass2002 at Delaware’s most favorited geocache (GC3DYYT)
awesnap

NoVAGO Officer

Re: July 2017: Tcopkcp711

Postby JPWAVE » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:43 am

awesnap wrote:
taco3.jpg

1. Tell us about your caching name.

Sometime back in 2002 I was listening jazz on the radio on the way to school. I was thinking that the music was pretty up beat until there was a sudden pause. Then I heard “Wait stop taco and a pork chop” and it played on as of nothing was said. I knew right then that phrase would be stuck in my head forever. It wasn’t until years later that I found out that song is called “Taco with a Pork Chop.” Over the years I have grown to like both tacos and pork chops. It seemed perfect to shorten it up as a username for various things. So I combined them, and added my birthday at the end creating the username Tcopkcp711. Believe me it makes a great conversation starter at events.

2. How were you introduced to Geocaching and what was the first cache you found?

I was introduced to the game by a friend of a friend who was in DC for a march called Keep the Promise. Amanda's username I can't remember, but Christopher’s is thin foot. After the march we ventured off and made way around town playing the game. Little by little I learned how this game is played and was I very happy to learn of something new to do. I think I even made a find on a few of the caches we went after. Other than the many virtuals we searched for, the two traditionals we found were Religous Ruin and Dupont Underground. I was immediately hooked on geocaching but it took me some time to get equipment and gain more know how before I could really began on my own.

3. Tell us about your receiver and any other “tools” (hardware and software)
that help you cache.

My receiver is Garmin eTrex Legend, but I primarily use my cell phone.

4. What essential items do you always carry in your cache bag?

My bag has a lot of stuff ranging from pens, travel bugs, path tags, containers, paper logs, band aids light, and more.

5. Do you trade items in and out of caches?

Once in a while, if I happen to remember to pack swag, I will do a trade. My favorite thing to look for in caches is toy cars. I like to write the dates and the GC code of the caches I found them in.

taco5.jpg

6. Do you have any signature items or ones in the works?

I currently do not have anything in the works but maybe I should soon.

7. What is your favorite thing about caching?

My favorite things about geocaching is the time spent with friends, the endless exploration of new places, competing with other cachers with who finds what first, and learning new things as I go. Sometimes solo runs are fun too.

8. Do you cache by yourself or with another person? How often do you go caching?

It just all depends.

9. What is your favorite type of cache (traditional, multi, puzzle, virtual etc.)?

I like all types as long as smiles are attached at the end. I can't say just one.

10. Tell us about your favorite cache.

One of my favorites is probably my first solo find Meadowood Surprise, but one that stands out is a challenge I recently qualified for called The PentaState Challenge. I have unsuccesfully attempted this one a few times, but it wasn't until recently that I was able to finally qualify on the road to Geowoodstock 15. That day JPWAVE, Awesnap, and I left Northern Virginia at midnight and headed south to work Virginia’s Western Counties and DeLorme Grids. We ended up logging over 16 counties and 5 states (Virginia, Kentucky, West Virginia, Tennessee, and North Carolina). Both of those where personal bests for me, but being able to finally saddle this cache was what made it great for me.

11. Tell us about a memorable caching experience that you have had.

I tend to find a memorable experience somehow in all caching I do but the one that stands out the most is the day before Geowoodstock 15. After 20 hours on the road and attending the Heart of Asheville event, Awesnap, JPWAVE and I headed out to a few of the areas best downtown breweries. We needed the break and welcomed some of the more creative brews the pubs offered. We kicked back for awhile longer than we should have before realizing that we may over did the beer sampling a bit. A group vote was had and we all decided that it would be best to “walk it off” for a bit before heading back to the hotel. We had a great time hiking the busy downtown streets, mingling with locals, and even ended up finding six more geocaches before going to bed.

taco1.jpg

12. How many states and countries have you cached in?

I currently have finds in 22 states and 3 countries.

13. If you could take a vacation anywhere to cache, where would you go?

If I could vacation and cache anywhere I would like to go to New Zealand. After that I would like to make way over to Australia before returning home.

14. Tell us about your other interests or talents.

My other interests are sports, architecture, art, kayaks, and just being out on the water.

taco4.jpg

15. Have you set any goals for yourself this year related to caching?

I would like to find caches states I haven’t been to and maybe knock off some big challenges I've seen but don’t qualify for yet. My long term goals are completing the Virginia Independent Cities, Counties, and DeLorme Challenges.

16. What would you like NoVAGO to focus on in the future?

I think NoVAGO could host more classes for people that need more help on things such as learning HTML code to build better cache pages.

taco2.jpg
That's awsome, Taco! A fun read!! Good times, good times. =)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Mike

Using Samsung S6 with CacheSense (No longer using Geocache Navigator on my BlackBerry 9700 Bold). Stole the Garmin eTrex 30 from the anti-geocaching esposita.
JPWAVE

NoVAGO Member

Return to Monthly Cacher Spotlight