May 2012 Spotlight: hfogg

Showcasing some of your fellow cachers!

May 2012 Spotlight: hfogg

Postby nicole_and_jim » Wed May 09, 2012 9:24 am

Tell us about your caching name:
HFOGG – boring.!...... My email name

How were you introduced to Geocaching?
Summer 2006, I Purchased my Garmin 60CSx for hiking and CD-ROM’s for downloading National Park TOPO trail maps, I was hiking Shenandoah Nat’l Park every chance I got, so when talking to my long-time friend COL413 (PA) about it, she said “you ever heard of geocaching.?”, I said NO, and launched google ..….typed…..”what is geocaching”… and the next thing you know.........

Winter 2007, at work I had possible and conflicting scheduled jobs in January, SO I emailed all in my department, “I’m re-searching geocaches in Boise ID and Dublin IRE, to decide which job I’ll take”…..hehehehe......BAM…Scott who I have worked with for 20 yrs, appears (*poof*) at my cube, and says…”You geocache too.?!”, my handle is ScottWT………

I took my brother Ethan on some hikes in SNP, and mentioned one day “geocaching”, another use for my 60CSx, and…BAM…and now he is ESF23 (NY), with a Garmin Oregon.

Recently a local friend, I’ve known since we worked together, that I try to meet for lunch once-a-month, got talking over lunch, and geocaching came up in conversion, and we didn't know each other geocached!
So now COBYMOM and I try to meet more often to eat and geocache.

MILESTONES:
1st FIND: 11/18/06 - C'Side Trog A (GCNF9C) Virginia
(thank you COL413 for telling me about geocaching)
100th FIND: 4/20/08 - Anna's Cache (GCWK4C) Pennsylvania
(thank you ScottWT for the 100FINDS Achievement Coin/PIN)

First Cache Found: C’Side Trog A (GCNF9C) date 11/18/2007
Isn’t that the pattern, after registering at geocaching.com, put in your Home Address and then, “Oh wow, look how close that cache is.!”

Tell us about your GPSr and any other “tools”:
Garmin 60CSx
Just bought a second one, I use it for more than just geocaching. (hardware and software) that help you cache: nothing really geeky.
GARMIN Topo CD-ROM’s.
BOOKS and MAPS….PATC has some great maps for trails in VA/WV/MD

What essential items do you always carry in your cache bag?
#1) Light Hiking/Geocaching fanny pack = spare batteries, waterbottles, snacks, GUgels, tissues, pens, small notepad, heavy-duty/non-skid paperclips/tweezers, baggies, GermX pkts. (everything in baggies, yes, I’ve had a baggie intervention…..I love baggies)

#2) All-DayHiking GEAR = MountainSmith Tour Lumbar Pack + WaistPack
Since this isn’t a hiking forum, I won’t fill in all the details….hahaha

Do you trade items in and out of caches?
If I can help a TB/GC on it’s goal

Do you have any signature items or ones in the works?
Nope

What is your favorite thing about caching?
I end up going places I wouldn't have thought of visiting; and along hikes, it’s fun to find a geocache along the way.

Do you cache by yourself or with another person? How often do you go caching?
Hum, I think about 80% of the time I’ve hiked and found geocaches by Myself…..

What is your favorite type of cache (traditional, multi, puzzle, virtual etc.)?
A long mountain hike, and along the way find an Ammo Can ! or an EarthCache

Tell us about your favorite cache.
I can’t really say “favorite”, more like memorable………

Mountain Trail Masters Challenge (GC2H6B1) (currently up to 120pts) – really enjoying this series.

Original Stash (original geocache location (GCGV0P)
GroundSpeak HQ (GCK25B)

If you've placed a cache, which one are you most proud of?
OWN: This is the Entrance to…?.?.? (GC1G2X0) because I was intrigued by that location.
Archived one in PA (GC103PC) that was an .30cal AmmoCan, 5ft up in a Pine Tree.!

Tell us about a memorable caching experience that you have had.
Geez, there has been so many……...

#1) UTAH 2008 2-weeks with ESF23 and COL413 joined the 2nd week,
3,000miles in a rental SUV, hiking and geocaching in 3 of states, (NV/UT/AZ)
7 Nat’l Parks, and 11 Utah State parks…….. “PRICELE$$”

#2) Washington/Oregon 2011 - Columbia River Gorge, Mt. Hood, ORIGINAL STASH PLAQUE,
Olympic Nat’l Park, Mt. St Helens, Mt. Rainier, and of course GROUNDSPEAK HQ

#3) Geocaching in England, I spend a lot of time there for work. Great Train & Cycle Network. I can catch a train or bus just about anywhere (England/Wales/Scotland)
So geocaching fits in with “sightseeing”, and visiting historic sites. (A lot of Virtuals.) I’ve learned what ‘stinging nettles’ are and most geocaches are micros’, and it
seems to always be muddy where I choose to go.!...public walking paths through sheep pastures.

Where (states/countries) have you cached?
STATES: (31) PA/VA/CA/WY/NY/WV/WA/MD/UT/NC/DE/LA/FL/AR/OR/VT/GA/ID/AL/TN/AZ/MS/NV/DC/NJ/TX/MT/NH/OK/SC/MA
Countries: (8) England, Ireland, Germany, Belgium, France, Wales, New Zealand, Australia

If you could take a vacation anywhere to cache, where would you?
#1) My Brother (ESF23/NY) and my long-time friend (COL413/PA) go on Annual National Park Trips, and of course we geocache there.
#2) Past few years COL413/PA and I go on a Spring “bloom” LongWeekend “hike some mountains in another state”; *AND* a Fall “foliage” Long Weekend “hike some mountains in another state”, which includes geocaching, of course.

#3) Sometimes a VA/MD/VW hike with ScottWT &/or Cobymom.

#4) I travel a lot for work, so I get to geocache in some nice international places

Tell us about your other interests or areas of expertise:
Since I work a “tech” job, I get “unplugged” and get outside on time off. I pack my 4x4 Truck, and grab my hiking gear and “head for the hills”

Have you set any goals for yourself this year related to caching?
Complete the Mountain Trail Masters series

Is there a certain cache that you can't wait to do?
No, not really. Geocaching just fits in around other activities I do. I research where I’m going, and see what geocaches are along the way or there.
nicole_and_jim

Former Officer

Re: May 2012 Spotlight: hfogg

Postby Serrabou » Tue May 15, 2012 9:00 am

Thanks for the spotlight! Enjoyed reading about it--completing Mountain Trailmasters, sounds like fun.
Serrabou

NoVAGO Member

Postby flyingmoose » Tue May 15, 2012 8:22 pm

Very awesome! I really enjoyed reading this. Let me know next time you hit any of the trail master caches in the GWNF and I might join you.
flyingmoose

Former Officer

Postby reedkickball » Wed May 16, 2012 11:20 am

Nice spotlight. The pictures make me want to get out and hike more.
reedkickball

Former Officer

Return to Monthly Cacher Spotlight