YO! I'm Back!

All general topics not related to other categories

YO! I'm Back!

Postby Coach_Jacks_Gang » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:21 am

Hey all, well after a 4 year or so absence and having spine surgery and both my hips replaced a year ago.....I'M BACK!!! and I can't wait. Question though, I need a new GPS, is that iPhone geocaching app any good or should I just buy another GPS.

thx - Coach Jack
Coach_Jacks_Gang

NoVAGO Member

Re: YO! I'm Back!

Postby flyingmoose » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:24 am

Welcome back sir. I was just thinking about you the other day while riding by one of your old caches along the W&OD. :D My suggestion would be to come out to the Spring event in a few weeks and see what everyone else is using.
flyingmoose

Former Officer

Postby B-Sharps » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Coach_Jacks_Gang wrote:Hey all, well after a 4 year or so absence and having spine surgery and both my hips replaced a year ago.....I'M BACK!!! and I can't wait. Question though, I need a new GPS, is that iPhone geocaching app any good or should I just buy another GPS.

thx - Coach Jack

We are using an Adroid based Galaxy Nexus and the Garmin Oregon 450. Let me tell you that the reception on the Galaxy Nexus is horrible and that we could not live without our dedicated GPSr. Now, with that said, the smart phone is very helpful in many regards because it is "connected" in ways that the Oregon 450 is not and that can be useful when we have reception.

Knowing what we know now and if we had to choose, it is hands down dedicated GPSr over smart phone caching.

Welcome back, btw, we look forward to meeting you if you come to the Spring event.
Some day, I am going to design a door that looks like a jar and then I can say "that jar is a door." -Me-

B-Sharps is the Team formerly named ".traBpukcip" see GC2R3K0. We post YouTube videos of many of our adventures: http://youtu.be/JDSlNIoLLZE
B-Sharps

NoVAGO Member

Postby Megawheatie » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:34 am

Good to hear you're back at it! Hope to see you out on the trails at some point.

On the iPhone front, we find the app most useful for "on-the-fly" searches when we find ourselves without the necessary PQs loaded up in the GPSr. It's also really good for accompanying our Garmin 60csx since the app can hold lots GPX data (description, recent logs, etc). Given that we periodically cache with snowjn who uses only a smart phone (and his keen geosense) for finding caches, you might consider trying out the app first and seeing if it's "good enough" for your needs before plonking down a couple hundred for a good dedicated GPSr.

ps: The 3 CJG caches we adopted are real popular ones. We're more than happy to keep them going, but if you're interested in getting them back just drop us an email :D

Jeffnerner / The MegaWheaties
Megawheatie

NoVAGO Member

Postby Coach_Jacks_Gang » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:55 am

Thanks guys, I'm looking forward to it. Technology has probably come a long ways the past few years, any recommendations on GPS's?

- Jack
Coach_Jacks_Gang

NoVAGO Member

Postby TooWheelIn » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:43 pm

Coach_Jacks_Gang wrote:Thanks guys, I'm looking forward to it. Technology has probably come a long ways the past few years, any recommendations on GPS's?
- Jack

Indeed...Welcome back Jack :smt006

A couple GPS receivers to check out:

Oregon 450 (without maps - free topo & worldwide routable road maps are available, they install on the unit's microSD card)
Oregon 550 (same without maps, but comes with a built in 3 megapixel camera)
eTrex 20 (same...without maps)
eTrex 30 (same...without maps, this one includes a barometric altimeter and 3 axis tilt compensated compass (altimeter & 3 axis compass also available on the
Oregon Models))

All those units are "paperless" showing cache pages, last 5 logs, hints, etc., on demand.

Bill
"There's a kinship among men who have sat by a dying fire and measured the worth of their life by it."
TooWheelIn

Former Officer

Postby Smokiewolf » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:31 am

Coach_Jacks_Gang wrote:Hey all, well after a 4 year or so absence and having spine surgery and both my hips replaced a year ago.....I'M BACK!!! and I can't wait. Question though, I need a new GPS, is that iPhone geocaching app any good or should I just buy another GPS.

thx - Coach Jack

Welcome Back!
Smokiewolf

NoVAGO Member

Postby zgrav » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:48 am

Good to know. There might be a couple of new caches around here for you to track down :D
zgrav

NoVAGO Member

Return to General Discussion