New Cache(s) at Accotink Bay Wildlife Refuge

All general topics not related to other categories

New Cache(s) at Accotink Bay Wildlife Refuge

Postby dudleygrunt » Fri May 04, 2012 10:48 am

I've just published my newest (virtual) cache, Pohick Loop Trail along its namesake trail, part of Fort Belvoir's Accotink Bay Wildlife Refuge.

The area is open to the public during daylight hours, all year long. You do not need to enter the controlled access are of the base to access this extensive trail system.

I've contacted the Fort Belvoir Environmental and Natural Resources Division in hopes of placing other caches along the trails. If they are not receptive to traditional caches, I hope to be able to at least place some "BITcaches", in addition to this virtual.

Happy trails! :smt006
Image Image Image
You can also find me at Navicache, GC.com & GPSgames.

GeoCachers4Christ - Military Association of GeoCachers
We never seek things for themselves—what we seek is the very seeking of things. - Blaise Pascal (1623-1662)
dudleygrunt

NoVAGO Member

Re: New Cache(s) at Accotink Bay Wildlife Refuge

Postby zgrav » Mon May 07, 2012 11:00 am

beautiful area
zgrav

NoVAGO Member

Postby dudleygrunt » Tue May 08, 2012 12:05 pm

Yeah. Still trying to get a hold of the rangers about additional caches.
Image Image Image

We never seek things for themselves—what we seek is the very seeking of things. - Blaise Pascal (1623-1662)
dudleygrunt

NoVAGO Member

Postby don77ames » Tue May 08, 2012 9:13 pm

I work at Fort Belvoir and would love to go to the trails at ABWR area. I understand that most of the trail area is on military property that obviously disallows geocaches hidden. You need to show your driving license to enter the area. I notice that you have Military Association of GeoCachers 'MAGC' that might helps allowable caches hidden there? Hope it is positive for us. I saw the beautiful primitive Accotink Bay few times when I attended picnic events there. Cache is not allowed in eagle post there. Ha!
don77ames

NoVAGO Member

Postby dudleygrunt » Wed May 09, 2012 9:47 am

don77ames wrote:I work at Fort Belvoir and would love to go to the trails at ABWR area. I understand that most of the trail area is on military property that obviously disallows geocaches hidden. You need to show your driving license to enter the area. I notice that you have Military Association of GeoCachers 'MAGC' that might helps allowable caches hidden there? Hope it is positive for us. I saw the beautiful primitive Accotink Bay few times when I attended picnic events there. Cache is not allowed in eagle post there. Ha!

I work at Belvoir, too. Maybe we can do some lunchtime caching, some time or just meet for lunch and talk caching.

The ABWR is outside the controlled access area of post and is open to the general public. I'm sort of figuring they won't want traditional cache containers back there, but hoping they might open to our "BITcaches", offered on OpenCaching.US. They're generally done as a sticker or laminated card with a Log Password to use on the website, when logging the cache.

I just got a call back that referred me to a better contact for the refuge, so I'm making progress. If not, I'll see what else out there, might offer a good opportunity for virtuals.

And, Don, if you haven't yet, you should sign up for an account at OC.us and check out the the one virtual I have, so far, on the Pohick Loop Trail. Took me only about 20 minutes to walk it and get pics and coords, when I set it up one day at lunch.

I do have two other virtuals on post, Thermo-Con House - OU007E and Belvoir Plantation - OU0087. Each has info about access on the cache page and, under normal circumstances, anyone can come on post by showing their drivers license. You should check those out. And, if we ever do meet up for lunch, my CR-V is a BITcache (and a TB).
Image Image Image

dudleygrunt

NoVAGO Member

Return to General Discussion