EXIF Data

All general topics not related to other categories

EXIF Data

Postby derektiffany » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:00 pm

I realized recently that I accidently left some EXIF GPS data in some pics near some puzzles and multi's uploaded to gc.com leading to potential spoilers.

Aplogies to the CO's ... those pics have been removed (and in some cases the EXIF data stripped and the pics re-uploaded). :oops:

OTOH, it's good to remember just how much info digital photographs can (potentially) carry ... and in some cases even fun to play around with it a little. :-D
http://www.findexif.com/?l=LsPhxRbg6vigQ#results
derektiffany

NoVAGO Officer

Re: EXIF Data

Postby Networkcacher » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:26 pm

I knew I should have been stalking your logs on puzzles more closely! Doh! :lol:
ImageImageImage
Networkcacher

Former Officer

Postby B-Sharps » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:38 pm

Just in time, sniper had you in his crosshairs and was seeking permission to fire.

Just kidding, no idea if any of those were mine. Poo happens, at least you discovered it.
Some day, I am going to design a door that looks like a jar and then I can say "that jar is a door." -Me-

B-Sharps is the Team formerly named ".traBpukcip" see GC2R3K0. We post YouTube videos of many of our adventures: http://youtu.be/JDSlNIoLLZE
B-Sharps

NoVAGO Member

Postby Serrabou » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:24 am

Nice tool, a good one to have on hand when working on puzzles too ;-)

Serrabou

NoVAGO Member

Postby nighthawk700 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:21 am

I thought I read that groundspeak was stripping out EXIF data when uploading pictures? Maybe I misunderstood. If it isn't hard, might be useful for them to do.
nighthawk700

NoVAGO Member

Postby rob3k » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:29 am

nighthawk700 wrote:I thought I read that groundspeak was stripping out EXIF data when uploading pictures? Maybe I misunderstood. If it isn't hard, might be useful for them to do.

They should let the uploader determine if they want to strip this out or not IMO.
rob3k

NoVAGO Member

Postby Networkcacher » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:45 am

Negative on Groundspeak stripping the EXIF data from uploaded image files, they don't do it, yet. It has been requested as a feature for awhile but has not been implemented yet.
ImageImageImage
Networkcacher

Former Officer

Postby derektiffany » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:22 pm

Networkcacher wrote:I knew I should have been stalking your logs on puzzles more closely! Doh! :lol:
With my puzzle solving abilities ... can honestly say ... in most cases ... there were MUCH bigger hints and spoilers already in the logs before mine. How do ya think I managed to actually make the find in the first place? :lol: Also, in a couple of the photots I looked at, the images were tagged with the coords of the nearest cell tower ... so no one go climbing up any of them big fake metal trees! :shame:

And finally, while I tend to be a bit more "open" with my on-line presence then some ... main reason for posting is that for people who are more "sensitive" to personal data being online, EXIF data is a good thing to be aware of. Which most of us are, but it's sometimes surprisingly easy to forget about.
derektiffany

NoVAGO Officer

Postby zgrav » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:02 pm

I guess that is the "too social" aspect of social media ---

I have noted a few internet articles and TV stories warning parents posting pictures of their kids on Facebook that many of those pictures had EXIF data that tagged the location where the picture was taken.
zgrav

NoVAGO Member

Postby nighthawk700 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:36 pm

First thing I did with my phone and my camera (GPS enabled camera) was to turn the geoloc data OFF for pictures. Besides, it would make it a dead give-away when I do my "Name That Cache" on Facebook. ;-)
nighthawk700

NoVAGO Member

Return to General Discussion