NoVAGO Winter bike and hike at Burke Lake: February 25th

A place to discuss upcoming events around the area.

Postby flyingmoose » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:26 am

NoVAGO Winter bike and hike at Burke Lake just got published!!!

You'll either have to oil your bike chain or get out the hiking shoes for this one!
flyingmoose

Former Officer

Re: NoVAGO Winter bike and hike at Burke Lake: February 25th

Postby Megawheatie » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:02 pm

flyingmoose wrote:NoVAGO Winter bike and hike at Burke Lake just got published!!!

You'll either have to oil your bike chain or get out the hiking shoes for this one!

I can't remember...is this "hybridable"?
Megawheatie

NoVAGO Member

Postby TooWheelIn » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:56 pm

Megawheatie wrote:
flyingmoose wrote:NoVAGO Winter bike and hike at Burke Lake just got published!!!

I can't remember...is this "hybridable"?

Yes indeed it is :smt045 ...even if wet - it's almost all crushed gravel/limestone.

Bill
"There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive. "
TooWheelIn

Former Officer

Postby rob3k » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:59 am

Hope to be able to make this one, but not sure. Been way too long since I've made a Novago event.

I still haven't picked up a new bike since my old one bit the dust, so I'll have to skip the latter part.
rob3k

NoVAGO Member

Postby B-Sharps » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:52 pm

GeoCibycles in need of TLC, will bike if we can get them in for a tune-up before then. Otherwise, hiking is good.

Thanks for having this one at Burke Lake, we've been meaning to hit this place up for a while but now that you're making us it will speed things up.
Some day, I am going to design a door that looks like a jar and then I can say "that jar is a door." -Me-

B-Sharps is the Team formerly named ".traBpukcip" see GC2R3K0. We post YouTube videos of many of our adventures: http://youtu.be/JDSlNIoLLZE
B-Sharps

NoVAGO Member

Postby mikeylou » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:21 pm

I'm planning on attending, but I can't stay long to cache around the lake - It's the start of Cookie Booth Season and I have obligations that afternoon.

I'm also feeling the significant lack of a bicycle. Any recommendations on where to go to purchase one?
mikeylou

NoVAGO Member

Postby flyingmoose » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:29 pm

mikeylou wrote:I'm also feeling the significant lack of a bicycle. Any recommendations on where to go to purchase one?

Geez, that is a good one. I assume a hybrid bike would be your best bet. Before you buy something make sure you are getting a bike that fits you. Otherwise you may hate it and never ride again. Most bike shops will help you get sized up and then give you some ideas. Take that and then shop around and see what works. Hope it helps.
I'm finding that I enjoy these types of caches (letterbox, mystery, multi) much better than the plain boring ones like lamp post caches. - anonymous cacher
flyingmoose

Former Officer

Postby B-Sharps » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:35 am

Great job with the event yesterday NoVAGO officers and everyone else who helped out. Thanks again for all your effort.
Some day, I am going to design a door that looks like a jar and then I can say "that jar is a door." -Me-

B-Sharps is the Team formerly named ".traBpukcip" see GC2R3K0. We post YouTube videos of many of our adventures: http://youtu.be/JDSlNIoLLZE
B-Sharps

NoVAGO Member

Postby obxgeek » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:15 am

So I started writing all of this in my log and then thought the better of it and scrapped the first go to bring it here.

First off thanks for the event. I love the seasonal events getting people together in new and cool parks each time. I have yet to repeat a location visited on the event.

The sad part for me about the event was the state of the caches in the park. From the first one our group hunted we found it off by 35 feet and that ended up being the theme for the day. At first it was funny and we smacked out foreheads for missing such easy caches but by the time we were half way around the lake it became really old. Then we got to caches were the recent logs pointed out that the caches were found x feet away it was disappointing. The worst one being 90 feet away and there having been updated coordinates that another cacher had posted but had fallen well beyond the recent logs that would be included in a PQ or even the download of the individual cache gpx.

I am not sure the best way to deal with this in the future to be honest. I would hope that a CO with caches in a park that is going to be used for one of these events would get out there and do some preemptive maintenance to be ready for the event especially with these group sponsored events that are published 3 months out. So I guess my though at the moment is that it might be good for the event planner to take a look at the caches there and see if there is a string of issues before publishing. Maybe even nudging the CO to do a bit of pre event maintenance run on caches that haven't been found recently. After rechecking I see that this one wasn't published until this month so there wasn't so much lead time.
ImageImageImage
obxgeek

NoVAGO Board Member

Postby KJcachers » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:41 pm

Makes you wonder how many of these caches were placed with a cell phone instead of a GPSr that can average a waypoint?

Sent from my iPhone4
KJcachers
KJcachers

NoVAGO Member

Next

Return to Events