What is needed to set up an event?

A place to discuss upcoming events around the area.

What is needed to set up an event?

Postby nighthawk700 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:42 pm

Before I leave, I was thinking of hosting an event.

1) To say good bye to folks, although I will be back to visit!
2) I've never hosted an event, might as well try one while still in "friendly" territory. ;-)

What kind of things do I need in advance? Since there aren't kosher restaurants in the area (and my family and I keep kosher), I was thinking of doing it at an ice cream place, maybe Friendly's since they have a bigger seating area (most of the ice cream flavors are kosher). Do you usually ask permission of the place before something like this? Is there specific information needed for the cache page? If I remember right, I have to do it at least two weeks in advance? (I'm thinking Sunday July 3rd, or soon thereafter, since it may be very soon afterward that we go, things are starting to pick up like a freight train all the sudden, although I know people may be out of town for the holiday...).

Anything else I should take into consideration when trying to set up something like this?

Thanks,

Louis
nighthawk700

NoVAGO Member

Re: What is needed to set up an event?

Postby flyingmoose » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:34 pm

For setting up an event, all you need to do is pick a date and then call the place to let them know you are coming. It is that simple.

Location suggestion: Dairy Queen in Herndon, there are lots of places to sit outside and you could even ask people to bring chairs. hint, hint, nudge, nudge.
flyingmoose

Former Officer

Postby WWCD » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:20 pm

"ice cream place, " I like ice cream -- this event could work out well for me [:)] -- agree with Moose though, an outside ice cream place -- and I've been to events at a few -- can work great. Just alert the owner that a large number of ice cream eaters will be converging at a certain time.
WWCD

NoVAGO Member

Postby nighthawk700 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:19 pm

Unfortunately Dairy Queen (with few exceptions) isn't kosher. I miss the Peanut Buster Parfait! The places where the ice cream (most flavors anyway) is kosher is Ben and Jerrys, Baskin Robbins, and Friendly's. The reason I was thinking larger setting was in case it rains or is excessively hot that evening. I'll be talking this over with my wife, because I'd like her and the kids there too, for part of it anyway. (depending on the timing).
nighthawk700

NoVAGO Member

Postby Nemo Consequentia » Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:44 am

Also to note you need to give a minimum 14 day (2 week) advance notice for an event publication. If you get your page submitted by tomorrow (Sunday 19th) for a July 3rd event date the reviewer might allow the publication, any later and they likely will not publish it.
"If at first the idea does not seem absurd, then there is no hope for it." -- Albert Einstein
Nemo Consequentia

Former Officer

Postby gob1g10 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:01 am

Carvel is generally Kosher, and it's ice cream. Nearest one seems to be in Fairfax: 9715 Fairfax Blvd Fairfax, VA 22031
gob1g10

NoVAGO Member

Postby nighthawk700 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:48 am

Nemo Consequentia wrote:Also to note you need to give a minimum 14 day (2 week) advance notice for an event publication. If you get your page submitted by tomorrow (Sunday 19th) for a July 3rd event date the reviewer might allow the publication, any later and they likely will not publish it.

The move is going to be a little bit later in the month, so I'm thinking the next Sunday, no conflicts with Independence Day.
nighthawk700

NoVAGO Member

Postby nighthawk700 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:25 am

FINALLY was able to get something scheduled, July 26th. http://coord.info/GC2ZPF7

I will actually already be moved by that point, but because we have painters and carpet people coming to make our old place all pretty (and hopefully very sale-able!!), and I have a meeting to attend near Dulles, we'll be back, and staying with a neighbor for a few days. (or camped out on the floor of our old place)

Hope to see some of you folks there.
nighthawk700

NoVAGO Member

Return to Events