GeoNickles

Anything related to geocoins, travel bugs, pathtags and the like.

GeoNickles

Postby nighthawk700 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:25 am

After the recent discussion about pathtags, I was thinking about getting some made. However, when listening to the Geocaching Podcache, they mentioned wooden nickles, and gave the link to where they got theirs. http://geonickels.com/wb/ Has anyone out there had experience with these type of signature/trade items? They are lower priced than pathtags, although are not trackable (but you can order with sequential numbering). I didn't realize they could come in multiple colors, the ones I've seen were pretty much all one color. I'm not sure how well they would hold up in caches though. So just wondering if others have experience with them, or comments about them.

Thanks,

Louis
nighthawk700

NoVAGO Member

Re: GeoNickles

Postby KJcachers » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:35 am

I use wooden nickles from my NoVA Jeepers club. There is an open spot on the back just big enough for our name stamp so we could make them our signature item. 8)
KJcachers
KJcachers

NoVAGO Member

Postby flyingmoose » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:25 pm

I have picked up at least 50 wooden nickels or more over the last 5 years and the downside I have always noticed is that they do not do well being wet. I also have to say the same for the poker chips/tokens that people paste their names on them. I still collect them but if money is an issue I would lean towards pathtags.
flyingmoose

Former Officer

Postby Kimmee » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:51 pm

I did invest in a few of these when I was a new cacher and for the cost they were not very reliable as for being wet or for people actually wanting them. They were cheaply made and I did not reorder.

I do still have some of other peoples that I have grabbed - I would still do path tags any day
Kimmee

NoVAGO Member

Postby KJcachers » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:29 am

I usually drop our woodens in the bag with the log to keep them dry! We have collected many of these and the poker chips too in our travels.
KJcachers
KJcachers

NoVAGO Member

Postby dudleygrunt » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:00 pm

I've done 2 versions of my gc signature nickel, one for the Military Association of Geocachers, and one for BSA Troop 424. I've gotten all of them through www.wooden-nickel.com and have been very happy with them.
Happy trails! :smt006
Image Image Image
You can also find me at Navicache, GC.com & GPSgames.

GeoCachers4Christ - Military Association of GeoCachers
We never seek things for themselves—what we seek is the very seeking of things. - Blaise Pascal (1623-1662)
dudleygrunt

NoVAGO Member

Postby obxgeek » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:01 pm

Here are some I have made at home for the Seaway trip I have planned for the first week in November.

This is the first batch with just black. I wast working on the process and how much of the solvent to use and how much rubbing needs to happen for the transfer.

Here is a closer picture of the front and back of them.

I used the directions at http://justsomethingimade.com/2009/07/custom-wooden-nickels-poker-chips-more/

I had trouble finding the blender pens in and around Leesburg so I tried the other method using nail polish remover but it would dry before I could get the toner to transfer. So I found the instructions on a youtube video to use Xylol Xylene. (make sure you have a well ventilated location for the project)

But it went pretty fast and If I would have had another person to help me with it to take the paper and tape off them once I had finished rubbing them I could have done them much faster. All in all a nice first run. I will be running off the same template but on a color copier so the Seaway trail logo will be in color and see how it goes. I will post some pictures of those once they are done.

My cost was ~$3 for a package of 2 dozen of the disks and ~$18 for the can of the solvent.... but it is way more then I will ever use and if anyone is thinking about doing a project like this please let me know and we can see about getting you some of mine because I will never use it all. As I am only shooting to do ~200 of them at this time (a set for me and a set for my mom who is doing the trail with me) my total cost should be $42 plus the negligible cost of the printouts.
ImageImageImage
obxgeek

NoVAGO Board Member

Postby obxgeek » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:41 am

So After some trials here are the fronts for my mom's nickles we will be using on the Seaway trail next week. I also worked up a color version of the Trail logo that will be on the back of both of our nickles.
ImageImageImage
obxgeek

NoVAGO Board Member

Postby nighthawk700 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:27 am

Wow, nice! Maybe this will be the next design project for my kids. Right now I'm having them come up with design for a stamp, since they liked seeing the stamps in letterbox hybrids. Thanks for sharing this!
nighthawk700

NoVAGO Member

Postby LostDogsArlington » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:08 pm

A similar but different idea is buttons, which can be made at services like Zazzle or Cafepress. You submit your own design and they print.

http://www.zazzle.com/cannonpics/gifts? ... 5297126452

I do like those wooden nickles.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The_Lost_Dogs
twitter & FB: rcannon100 :: Cybertelecom
LostDogsArlington

NoVAGO Member

Next

Return to Trackable Items