Ranger Rick is getting busy!

All general topics not related to other categories

Ranger Rick is getting busy!

Postby nighthawk700 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:07 am

Saw 7 new caches today for a new Ranger Rick trail program (http://www.rangerricktrails.com/, and looks like they are working with geocaching.com, http://www.geocaching.com/rangerricktrails/) in Lake Fairfax Park. Nice! I'd try to dash out and get some FTFs, but I'm already in the office, preparing for the office move next week. :-(

Now we just need a Ranger Rick Geocoin! ;-) (I was a Ranger Rick reader long ago)
nighthawk700

NoVAGO Member

Re: Ranger Rick is getting busy!

Postby flyingmoose » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:32 am

Talk about cache saturation!
flyingmoose

Former Officer

Postby nighthawk700 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:43 am

These caches seem to be geared towards younger children. I know my 5 year old can only do so much walking before she's had enough and starts griping. So seems a good idea to have them clustered together. And of course right by NWF headquarters. The only thing I'm wondering is that several of the new ones (there was one there from back in 2007) are rated 1/1. I'm not sure anything back there is wheelchair accessible unless there's a paved path I'm not familiar with.
nighthawk700

NoVAGO Member

Postby flyingmoose » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:57 am

I understand it is for children but I guess for me it is also the location. The caches are basically along or near a shared trail primarily used for mtn bikes and most bikers hit the trail hard at the beginning, the area where the caches are. Hope no incidents occur.
flyingmoose

Former Officer

Postby TooWheelIn » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:14 am

Yes indeed...any of those with a Terrain rating of 1 are too low (there is no paved trail, and the CCT and side trails in that area are not wheelchair accessible)...also interesting (or is that disturbing) to see that there are no park hours posted to the cache pages (FCPA Guideline requirement).........and -- ready for this??? No Attributes. Seven cache pages advertising/publicizing/displaying the wrong way to do it in a FCPA Park. :doh:

Bill
"There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive. "
TooWheelIn

Former Officer

Postby rob3k » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:22 am

The Ranger Rick page implies there will be more series coming and the NWF is a national org. Wonder if they'll eventually have cache sets all over the country?
rob3k

NoVAGO Member

Postby nighthawk700 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:30 am

That seems to be the case, they are looking for host sites: http://www.nwf.org/Get-Outside/~/link.a ... 6763D&_z=z

I emailed the Ranger Rick program pages to my neighbor, who used to be the editor at Ranger Rick. She already asked if I can take her and her three boys, along with my princesses to get the caches this Sunday. :-) My girls were looking forward to Roo's Romp, so we'll have to get together and discuss it. My older one could do both sets, but my middle one will get cranky after a certain point. I was also hoping to get the Coin Cache as well. One thing at a time I guess.
nighthawk700

NoVAGO Member

Postby nighthawk700 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:33 am

Looks like R A S and Mrs. Seadog129 have been FTFing!
nighthawk700

NoVAGO Member

Postby rob3k » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:44 am

If those caches have some longevity I might use them to introduce my nephew to geocaching in a few years. :-D
rob3k

NoVAGO Member

Postby TooWheelIn » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:53 am

rob3k wrote:If those caches have some longevity I might use them to introduce my nephew to geocaching in a few years. :-D

I hope they do...have longevity. If you take a look through the sections on the NWF link Nighthawk700 posted you'll see that they really put a lot of time and effort into the Program.

I've got a geocoin that I need to drop...so may swing by on the way to work to hunt GC2TJTH...it's very close to parking. Taking the FCPA "25 Foot Rule" into consideration, and the heavy use those trails get...I'm hoping they last, and don't disappear like so many of those Burke Lake caches did a few months back.

Bill
P.S. Rob...make another post - your post count is rather "ominous" :wink:
"There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive. "
TooWheelIn

Former Officer

Next

Return to General Discussion